[OS X TeX] making an index (nomenclature)

Herbert Schulz via MacOSX-TeX macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu
Mon Feb 5 23:49:39 CET 2024

> On Feb 5, 2024, at 4:22 PM, Nicolae Garleanu <nbgarleanu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks, John and Herb.
>
> I ran the makeindex command from the terminal prompt, and then got the pdf output expected. I conclude that neither makeindex, nor latexmk — which I used exactly as detailed by Herb — work for me. As I said, I never did anything specific to set them up, but I also didn’t know — even now I don’t know — that I had to.
>
> Is there a quick way to find out how to set these up?
>
> Nicolae

Howdy,

Here is the example file with the correct line added

---------
% !TEX program = pdflatexmk
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[refpage]{nomencl}
\makenomenclature

\begin{document}
Here is an example: $V_{t,s}$
\nomenclature{$V_{t,s}$}{Value function}

\printnomenclature
\end{document}
---------

(everything between the  --------- but not including them)

Note the added $V_{t,s}$ since the \nomenclature command does NOT print the item but creates an item for the Nomenclature section.

I processed the file by simply issuing the command Cmd-T in TeXShop. If you look at the Console output in TeXShop you will see that pdflatex is run, then the proper makeindex command and then pdflatex again.

If you are testing a different file please let me know.

herbs2 at mac.com

TeX FAQ: https://www.tug.org/mactex/faq/index.html