[OS X TeX] Can I delete these old ghostscript folders?

Richard Seguin riseguin at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 4 06:58:37 CEST 2023

I have a new mini M2 Pro arriving soon, and I’m currently doing some housecleaning on my old one before I migrate.

In usr/local/share/ghostscript I have 12 folders with names like 8.63, 9.07, and 9.53.3, and all of them seem to have similar contents. Folder 8.63 dates back to 2014. Can I safely delete all but the very latest — in this case, 9.53.3 — without damaging anything? I’m guessing that these are different versions, none of which has ever been deleted when a new version has been added.

Since I still have TexLive 2021 on my old machine, I intend to migrate everything, including texmf-local but excluding texlive/2021, and then download and install 2023 after the migration.

My old mini can’t be updated beyond Monterey, so this is the first time I’ll be doing a migration between two machines with different OS versions, so I’m a little nervous. I’m also nervous about whether or not I’ll once again have trouble with the scripts I use for typesetting.

Richard Séguin
TeX FAQ: https://www.tug.org/mactex/faq/index.html