[OS X TeX] Upgrade to High Sierra

Don Green Dragon fergdc at Shaw.ca
Wed Jan 31 19:06:16 CET 2018

On 23Jan2018, at 6:16 PM, Gary L. Gray <euler at psu.edu> wrote:

>> On Jan 23, 2018, at 7:40 PM, Don Green Dragon <fergdc at Shaw.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you for that shocking information! On visiting the Apple site that you included, I found information that made me think that I have a later model than 2006. Using <Apple/About This Mac> reveals that I have an
>>
>> 	iMac 27-inch, Late 2009
>>
>> which suggests that my machine satisfies the "Mac Hardware Requirements" for High Sierra. So, despite that initial shock, I think my machine will handle the upgrade.
>>
>> Right? Wrong? Maybe?
>
> Looks good. The App Store will not give you the option to install it if you aren’t eligible.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Gary

> <<snip>>

Hi again Gary,

Based on your comments and Rob Rye's I went ahead and attempted to install High Sierra. An update window usually appears on my screen when I begin a session, but instead of showing the usual (for some time 'usual') icon for upgrading to High Sierra, the icon read "installed" and when I asked for <Apple/Software update...> the response was "no updates available". With <Apple/About this Mac> the response remains "version 10.9.5".

Stunned by the above, looked around in Applications and found, to my surprise, an app titled <Install macOS High Sierra>. Despite not recalling how the app got there, I opened it and clicked on Install. Nothing seemed to happen. Eventually a window appeared which announced that <macOS High Sierra> will be installed on "MacIntosh HD" which seemed okay, and finally a progress bar appeared, after a second or third tap on the "Install" icon. After three hours the progress bar was about 20% full. I knew the install would be slow because I have the slowest connection possible with my ISP.

However, it is now 40.5 hours later and the progress bar remains about 10% from full. Also, the progress bar 'appears' to NOT have advanced since yesterday at about 5:00 pm when I last checked.

Should I hit the "Cancel" button or just let the install proceed?

I'm wondering about Gary's  comment

"The App Store will not give you the option to install it if you aren’t eligible."

but I've not received an explicit message saying that I'm not eligible!!!

don green dragon
fergdc at shaw.ca