[OS X TeX] Beamer and Movie Media

David Craig dac at panix.com
Thu Feb 15 10:53:35 CET 2018

All-
I’m finally making the push to do my more math-heavy presentations in beamer rather than Keynote.   Now that I’m past the steepest part of the learning curve I’m generally quite happy with how much easier it is, and I’ve found ways to reproduce most of my favorite visual presentation tropes in beamer.

HOWEVER, I am still struggling to include media in my presentations smoothly, specifically, things like animated gifs, and movies in various formats/containers (X.mov, X.mpg, X.mp4).   I’ve googled around, but the options I have found most frequently recommended (deprecated or not) — multimedia, movie15, media9 — just don’t work very well and are very particular about file formats.  Things that QuickTime player can play fine and/or the Finder can QuickLook often don’t work (even when the package documentation says it should for that format).

So, I’m seeking best-practice advice from Mac users on including movie media in beamer presentations.   If there’s a specific format that will reliably work in beamer with a particular package, I’m willing to make the conversions.   I’m just intent on some degree of reliability for the next few years at least.

Thanks,
David Craig

<http://www.panix.com/~dac/>