[OS X TeX] Upgrade to High Sierra

Themis Matsoukas tmatsoukas at icloud.com
Thu Feb 1 13:04:56 CET 2018

> On Jan 31, 2018, at 1:06 PM, Don Green Dragon <fergdc at Shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> However, it is now 40.5 hours later and the progress bar remains about 10% from full. Also, the progress bar 'appears' to NOT have advanced since yesterday at about 5:00 pm when I last checked.
>
> Should I hit the "Cancel" button or just let the install proceed?
>
> I'm wondering about Gary's  comment
>
> "The App Store will not give you the option to install it if you aren’t eligible."
>
> but I've not received an explicit message saying that I'm not eligible!!!

Don,

I have not installed High Sierra yet but for all my recent OS installations I first create a bootable USB to avoid exactly these impossibly slow internet connections (mine seems to be getting slower by the hour…). The process of creating a  bootable USB is fairly simple and is explained here:

https://www.macworld.com/article/3204672/macs/how-to-create-a-bootable-macos-high-sierra-installer-drive.html

I've always used the second method, described as "The longer way”, which involves using the terminal. Once you have a bootable USB, you don’t need your internet connection to complete the installation. And of course you can use the USB to install in other machines.  You can do the same method with older OS if you want to revert to one that is more stable for your machine.

Themis