[OS X TeX] running asymptote within TeXShop

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 16:08:18 CET 2017

On 19 Nov2017, at 4:51 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

>> On Nov 19, 2017, at 3:34 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have he asymptotemk engine active in TeXShop 3.89. I copied file ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Sample.tex to my ~/Documents folder and tried to typeset that copy Sample.tex using the asymptotemk engine.
>>
>> I get the error(s) indicated in the console output extract shown below.  What’s wrong?
>>
>> Transcript written on sampleAsy.log.
>> ===========Latexmk: Missing input file: 'sampleAsy-1.pdf' from line
>>  'Package asymptote Warning: file `sampleAsy-1.pdf' not found on input line 71.'
>> Latexmk: Missing input file: 'sampleAsy-1.pdf' from line
>>  'Package asymptote Warning: file `sampleAsy-1.pdf' not found on input line 71.'
>> ===========Latexmk: Missing input file: 'sampleAsy-2.pdf' from line
>>  'Package asymptote Warning: file `sampleAsy-2.pdf' not found on input line 87.'
>> Latexmk: Missing input file: 'sampleAsy-2.pdf' from line
>>  'Package asymptote Warning: file `sampleAsy-2.pdf' not found on input line 87.'
>> ===========Latexmk: Missing input file: 'sampleAsy-3.pdf' from line
>>  'Package asymptote Warning: file `sampleAsy-3.pdf' not found on input line 111.'
>> Latexmk: Missing input file: 'sampleAsy-3.pdf' from line
>>  'Package asymptote Warning: file `sampleAsy-3.pdf' not found on input line 111.'
>> Latexmk: Log file says output to 'sampleAsy.pdf'
>> Rule 'cusdep asy pdf sampleAsy-3': File changes, etc:
>>   Changed files, or newly in use since previous run(s):
>>      'sampleAsy-3.asy'
>>   Non-existent destination files:
>>      'sampleAsy-3.pdf'
>

> The Sample/tex file found in ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Asymptote (not directly in the Inactive folder) is quite old and it appears that `asy` has changed a bit over that time period and is having a problem compiling one of the figures (the one in sampleAsy-2). Since that failed the asmyptotemk engine quits.
>
> If you want to test the asymptotemk engine get the latexusage.tex file found in `~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Latexmk/platexmkrc samples/for asymptote' (without the quotes of course) and change the engine to asymptotemk and compile. YOu might want to copy that whole folder to your desktop and use that file along with the associated platexmkrc file in that folder and typeset it directly.

From ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Latexmk/platexmkrc samples/for asymptote I copied both files latexusage.tex and platexmkrc to a folder of mine. When in TeXShopI typeset latexusage.tex with asymptotemk, I get an error:

   ./latexusage-1.tex: 29: Undefined control sequence.
   \ASYaligned ..7}\setbox \ASYbox \hbox {\ASYdimen
                                                                                     =\ht \ASYbox \advance \ASY…
   l.29 …23941,60.549297)(-0.500000,-5.00000){$A$)
                                                                                     %
I then continued in batch mode (q). The .pdf produced was defective in several ways. (I’ll try to attach the pdf, but as I recall the mailing list excises those.)

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334