[OS X TeX] EM fonts

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at icloud.com
Sun Mar 26 14:39:47 CEST 2017

Dear All,

You may remember me as a regular contributor to this list ten years or so ago.

This message is about the European Modern (EM) fonts, which were a kind of Type 1 predecessor to Latin Modern and were sold by Y&Y in the late nineties.

All Y&Y code was donated to TUG ten years ago <http://www.tug.org/yandy/>, and is now in the public domain at <https://github.com/clerkma/yytex>. The EM fonts are there in the fonts/em directory, plus some support files in the tex directory.

Some support files seem to be missing, though, and those that are there have flaws, sometimes significant. All in all, it looks like the archive is from a development machine, with alpha or beta files mixed with release files. Hopefully, it does not reflect the (assumedly) polished setup that was distributed to customers.

Mostly I've been able to make things work with TeX Live, including with the em package from CTAN <http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/psnfssx/em>, but there are still hiccups and I'm rather perplexed by the whole thing.

In particular, a set of Mac floppies seems to have been available for purchase at the time, whose content is documented at

https://github.com/clerkma/yytex/blob/master/fonts/em/macinto1.txt
https://github.com/clerkma/yytex/blob/master/fonts/em/macinto2.txt
https://github.com/clerkma/yytex/blob/master/fonts/em/manifest.txt

Did anybody on this list by any chance purchase the floppies, and could provide disk images? If so, please contact me off-list.

I'm particularly interested by the plain TeX and LaTeX support files, and the LM1 metrics.

Thanks,

Bruno Voisin