[OS X TeX] TeXShop 3.77 slow opening source files?

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Mon Mar 6 22:47:11 CET 2017

On Mar 6, 2017, at 12:32 , Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> (1) I have 7 mdworker processes, each showng 0.0% of CPU, with CPU times ranging from min of 0.04 to max of 4.82. Also 1 mdwrite, 09.9% and 0.33 time; and mdflagwriter, 0.05 and 0.23 time.
>
> (2) I have no NAS attached. Only volume mounted is the Mac HD (fusion drive) only 1/3 full.
>
> Machine is 4 GHz Core i7 with 32GB RAM. It’s normally quite snappy.

To underscore what Herb and the others have said, the "disc o' death" can mean one of a couple of things, and indicates that the process is not responding to the OS as expected.  Two possibilities are
1. waiting for some event [no CPU usage]
2. trapped in an infinite loop (that may eventually terminate) [high CPU usage]

The Activity Monitor can help by showing you a snapshot of what's going on.

FWIW, I always keep the "CPU Usage" window open to show me if some process is off in the weeds.  If there's no unusual CPU activity when you see the spinner, that means case 1: waiting (uninterruptibly) for something (like a file system response).

HTH

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large