[OS X TeX] TexShop hanging

Richard M. Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Sat Jul 29 05:54:40 CEST 2017

I replied directly to M. Tamer Ozsu, and he told me that he has a beamer document. In that case, this is almost surely one of two PDFKit Bugs introduced by Apple in Sierra. The bugs affect TeXShop, Preview, Skim, and all other programs using PDFKit.

The bad news is that neither bug is fixed in Sierra.

The good news is that both bugs are fixed in High Sierra.

In the meantime, the bugs do not occur if you typeset with XeLaTeX or LuaLaTeX. The main barrier to doing so is that these programs require UTF-8 input. But if your sources are already saved in UTF-8, or can be easily switched, then it is probably
easy to switch to XeLaTeX and avoid the problems in Sierra.

Dick Koch