[OS X TeX] tlmgr failed

Gary L. Gray euler at psu.edu
Wed Jul 19 21:58:54 CEST 2017

> On Jul 18, 2017, at 11:30 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>
> I'm guessing that getnonfreefonts doesn't add things to an existing updmap.cfg file. Or, if it does, it's leaving a blank line when appending to that file which might lead to a problem.
>
> I believe ypu have a /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/updmap.cfg file since you moved your fonts to texmf-local from ~/Library/texmf a while ago. Please edit that file adding the new map files that were added by getnonfreefonts (make sure there is a blank line at the end of the file). After you do that please run
>
> sudo mktexlsr
> sudo updmap-sys
>
> which should hopefully update properly. Note: every time you add fonts to texmf-local you should go through the same procedure just once.

Thank you Herb. I apologize for taking so long to reply, but some stuff came up and buried me until now.

Unfortunately, my updmap.cgf file already has all those entries.

Map mtpro2.map
Map lucida.map
Map iffonts.map
Map MinionPro.map
Map pmy.map
Map uop.map
Map zpeu.map
Map zgm.map
Map ugm.map
Map classico.map
Map dayroman.map
Map gandhi.map
Map ulg.map
Map tli.map
Map ul9.map
Map garamondvn.map
Map classicovn.map
Map webo.map
Map ua1.map

I ran

sudo mktexlsr
sudo updmap-sys

and the first command did its thing, but the second gave me this again

updmap [WARNING]: resetting $HOME value (was /Users/gray) to root's actual home (/var/root).
updmap will read the following updmap.cfg files (in precedence order):
  /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/updmap.cfg
  /usr/local/texlive/2017/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg
  /usr/local/texlive/2017/texmf-dist/web2c/updmap.cfg
updmap may write changes to the following updmap.cfg file:
  /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/updmap.cfg
dvips output dir: "/usr/local/texlive/2017/texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/updmap"
pdftex output dir: "/usr/local/texlive/2017/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap"
dvipdfmx output dir: "/usr/local/texlive/2017/texmf-var/fonts/map/dvipdfmx/updmap"
updmap [ERROR]: The following map file(s) couldn't be found:
updmap [ERROR]: 	uop.map (in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/updmap.cfg)
updmap [ERROR]: Did you run mktexlsr?

	You can disable non-existent map entries using the option
	  --syncwithtrees.

When I create a simple document using the day roman font, I get this.

kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+120/600 --dpi 720 dayrom__
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for dayrom__.
mktexpk: perhaps dayrom__ is missing from the map file.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
 )
!pdfTeX error: /Library/TeX/texbin/pdflatex (file dayrom__): Font dayrom__ at 7
20 not found
 ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

Any thoughts?

Gary