[OS X TeX] new preview behavior (Sierra)?

Nicolae Garleanu garleanu at berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 9 18:46:34 CEST 2017

Hello everybody,

Preview seems to behave differently in at least one respect, on all my computers, since I upgraded to Sierra (10.12.5). On one computer, I have Texshop 3.77 installed. (Probably same, o/w slightly more recent, on the other.) Maybe the issue has got to do with pdfkit, as I also experience it with Skim, though not with Acrobat. In that case, perhaps the most one could hope for is that Apple implement a change at some point.

It’s a bit difficult to explain, but here it is. It concerns the single page display format. In the past, when I scrolled down (say; symmetric behavior moving up) to the bottom of the page, I would eventually get to the next page, from the top. (This is still Acrobat behavior, which helps me confirm it is what feels natural to me.) (For those who are wondering why I don’t use multipage, one reason is that with multipage there is a stage where one has both the bottom margin of one page and top margin of next on the screen taking space simultaneously.) Now, however, once I hit the bottom of first page, further scrolling brings up directly the bottom of the following page, and so on. Even worse, the preview is highly sensitive, so that most of the time trying to scroll back up brings the previous page. (I think that the way to avoid this part is to try to scroll very slowly, and not lift the fingers off the trackpad.) In short, it’s as if scrolling becomes ‘next page/previous page’ command once at the bottom (or top) of the page.

I hope this is clear. Even more, that some of you will recognize the behavior.

Nicolae