[OS X TeX] Trouble installing MacTeX 2016 in El Capitan

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Sep 14 14:33:47 CEST 2016

> On Sep 14, 2016, at 4:53 AM, Josep Maria Font <jmfont at ub.edu> wrote:
>
> I had MacTeX-2105 installed in Mavericks and -finally- I decided to upgrade to El Capitan. Everything semmed to work fine, including TeXShop and TeX.
>
> Then I wanted to install MacTeX-2016 from the DVD. I copy-pasted the relevant lines in Terminal, as instructed in the installation document, and after typing the admin passwd, I got:
>
> sudo: unable to execute ./install-tl: Input/output error
>
> I did not find any help concerning this issue in the installation notes, the TUG web site, etc.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>

> JMaF

Howdy,

Let's make sure you did each command.

First, is your default shell already the bash shell? Execute the command `echo $SHELL` and it should return /bin/bash if it is. You can then forget about the first command (bash).

Next run `umask 002` which just makes sure everything has the right permissions.

Very important: not run `cd /Volumes/TEXCOL2016/texlive` so the directory becomes the place where install-tl resides. (The error message seems to indicate that the command wasn't found.)

Finally run the last command which does the actual install. It needs to be all on a single line.` (Don't copy it from this email since it's very long and you may have hard wrap on.)

For letter paper default:

`sudo ./install-tl --no-warn-checksums --profile /Volumes/TEXCOL2016/mactex/MacTeX-Install/TLprofiles/texlive.profile`

For a4 paper default:

`sudo ./install-tl --no-warn-checksums --profile /Volumes/TEXCOL2016/mactex/MacTeX-Install/TLprofiles/texlivea4.profile`

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)