[OS X TeX] Is there a way to let TeXShop remember the position of EACH file on close of THAT file?

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Tue Sep 13 04:37:12 CEST 2016

Alain,

Adding your proposed feature to TeXShop strikes me as a very difficult piece of work --- with almost no reward, since the application you suggest is so VERY specialized.

It would be much better to adapt some existing technology to the problem. You are running a very old operating system, 10.6.8, using a version of TeXShop that is no longer supported. But let us suppose, just for the sake of argument, that you'd be willing to run TeXShop 3.73 on Apple's new Sierra. This would
give you access to Apple's implementation of tabbed views.

Then one way to proceed would be to think of each of your folders as a window of tabbed views, where the tabs correspond to files in the folder. You wouldn't have to worry about the corresponding pdf files, because if you activate tab #7 and then type command-2, the corresponding pdf Preview for the file in tab #7 will come up.

Sorting into new piles would then be easy, because Apple allows you to drag tabs from one window to another window. So think of sorting as just
sorting the tabs. That would even be very visual, since when you move a tab, the whole source also moves to a new window.

The trouble with this suggestion is that Apple hasn't provided easy ways to load and save tab sets.

But now you have a request which would be much more likely to interest the author of TeXShop. Namely

	a) Given a tabbed window, save a "list of tabs," i.e., a small file listing the full paths to each tabbed source file.

	b) Given such a "list of tabs", write a routine which opens a new window in TeXShop and creates a tabbed view for each full path in the "list of tabs."

This would require coding work, either in TeXShop, or by Apple if they later enhance their tabs code. But now I can think of lots of uses for the added feature, so you might induce someone to actually add that feature.

Dick Koch