[OS X TeX] Fractional symbols

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 00:29:16 CEST 2016

I had exactly this issue the other day. A good solution could be to use the xfrac package:

   \documentclass{article}

   \usepackage{xfrac}

   \begin{document}

   ``Case-fraction’’ for one-hal is given by \sfrac{1}{2}, which also works in math mode: $ \sfrac{1}{2} (a + b)$.

   \end{document}

> On Sep 1, 2016, at 4:00 PM,R Martinez <rm.tech at mac.com <mailto:rm.tech at mac.com>> wrote:
>
>> I want to write text in my LaTeX document that includes a fraction, e.g., 3 1/2, but I want to replace the three-character 1/2 with the single character ?. As you can see, I can do it using the Mac keyboard with Mac documents such as this email. I tried inserting it in my LaTeX document but it did not typeset correctly.
>>
>> I am using the STIX font package. I have scoured the zillion STIX characters but cannot find ? with a LaTeX backslash command.
>>
>> The STIX reference document I am using is "The stix package" STI Pub Companies v1.1.1-latex from 2014/07/31. I have attached it to this email.
>>
>> The character  ? appears in the ts1-stixgeneral table on p. 29 of the STIX reference with coordinates
>>
>> 	  ?5
>> ?27x |  ?  | ?Bx
>>          ?D
>>

>> I don?t know how to access this.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to insert a fraction in the text?

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334