[OS X TeX] ! No room for a new \count .

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Mon Oct 10 17:29:07 CEST 2016

On 10/10/2016 16:21, Martin Bergren wrote:
> Running Mactex 2016 on the  file
>
> ===================================
> \documentclass{beamer}
> %\usepackage{etex}
>
> % !TEX TS-program = xelatex
> \usepackage{tikz}
>
> \usepackage{microtype}
> \usefonttheme{professionalfonts}
> \usepackage[no-math]{fontspec}
> \makeatletter
> \let\Bbbk\@undefined
> \makeatother
> \usepackage{mtpro2}
>

> \begin{document}
> \begin{frame}{Hello}
> Hello
> \end{frame}
>
> \end{document}
> ===================================
>
> gives the error message
>
> (/usr/local/texlive/2016/texmf-dist/tex/latex/fontspec/fontspec.cfg)))
> (/Users/martinb/Library/texmf/tex/latex/mtpro2/mtpro2.sty
> ! No room for a new \count .
> \ch at ck ...\else \errmessage {No room for a new #3}
>                                                   \fi
> l.131 \alloc at 0\count\countdef\insc at unt\pointcount@
>
> ?
>
> I don’t get the error when running Mactex 2015 or when uncommenting %\usepackage{etex}. According to a post in tex.stackexchange, the use of etex should be included in the kernel, so I don’t understand why it’s needed here.
>
> Note that I use the commercial mtpro2 package.
>
> Cheers,
>

> Martin Berggren

The problem is mtpro2.sty, which is doing

    \alloc at 0\count\countdef\insc at unt\pointcount@

i.e. directly using \alloc@ rather than using \newcount. The 'classical'
pool *is* exhausted in your example, so this fails. The etex package
alters the definition of \alloc@, whereas the new LaTeX kernel approach
uses a separate \ealloc@ macro.

This will need to be addressed in mtpro2.sty.

Joseph