[OS X TeX] Engines in TeXShop

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Oct 4 16:35:41 CEST 2016

> On Oct 4, 2016, at 9:20 AM, Simon Spiegel <simon at simifilm.ch> wrote:
>

>> Howdy,
>>
>> TeXShop executes programs that are in /Library/TeX/texbin (which points to the active binaries of your TeX Distribution) by default. Engines (see below) execute programs that are along the PATH variable passed to the Engine or the path explictely given (e.g., /opt/local/bin/biber)
>>
>> The Engines are really just shell scripts stored with the extension .engine, taking a single argument (the file to be typeset --- with extension) and is executed with Typeset->Typeset (Cmd-T) when you have the line
>>
>> % !TEX TS-program = engine-name
>>
>> where engine-name doesn't have the .engine extension (e.g., pdflatexmk). You can create an engine that calls pdflatex, biber, etc. on the file (you need to strip off the .tex from the file name).
>>
>> Let me know what processing you wish to do and I'll try to help out.
>
> Ok, this is interesting. I created an engine which points to /opt/local/bin/biber called biberedge. When I use
>
> % !TEX TS-program = biberedge
>
> and then typeset it, it will use the program. But when I use
>
> % !BIB TS-program = biberedge
>
> I get an "The program biberedge does not exist.“. So TeXShop seems to handle TEX TS-program and !BIB TS-program differently.
>
> Best,
>
> Simon
>
> --
> Simon Spiegel
> Steinhaldenstr. 50
> 8002 Zürich
>
> Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
> Mobophon: ++41 76 459 6039
>
> http://www.simifilm.ch
> http://www.utopia2016.ch
>
> „When you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.“ Abraham Maslow

Howdy,

Yes it does! The !TEX tells TeXShop to use one of the internal engines to typeset the file (if you use typeset->Typeset (Cmd-T) while the !BIB tells TeXShop to use the designated program, in the designated TeX binaries directory, instead of bibtex when you run Typeset->Bibtex (Shift-Cmd-B).

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)