[OS X TeX] Latest Test Versions of MacTeX and BasicTeX [was: Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest, Vol 103, Issue 8]

Juergen Fenn jfenn at gmx.net
Wed May 25 11:35:34 CEST 2016

Am 23.05.2016 um 21:00 schrieb Richard Koch <koch at uoregon.edu>:

>> I think this is somewhat irritating. It seems that the new TLU does not include another switch side-by-side the old preference pane? I still only have the preference pane, as before, haven't I? I would prefer to switch to TLU altogether and delete the preference pane in existing installations in order to have /one/ place for switching between distributions and binaries.
>
> I don?t completely understand this paragraph. I?ll answer several possible questions
> below, trying to catch the question you intend.
>
> The TeXDist Pref Pane and TLU make the same change when switching distributions.
> So they can be used interchangeably.

Dick, thanks for elaborating further on the concept of pref pane vs. TLU.

What I meant to say was that I would prefer to have only _one_ switch on those platforms where this is possible because this is what you would expect on a Mac. And perhaps you could call the menu item "Switch (between) distributions"? "Reconfigure distribution" is hard to understand because it's an ambiguous phrase. You cannot tell what you can reconfigure there.

BTW, TLU did not install any updates from preining.info. I tried to change the repository, to no avail, of course... Now I cannot switch back to Norbert's website because the URL is no longer available... hm...

Best regards,
Jürgen.