[OS X TeX] 2016 pretest and xdvi

tkiffe tkiffe at math.tamu.edu
Fri May 6 07:00:08 CEST 2016

Xdvi and ghostscript don’t work together correctly when previewing eps graphics in a dvi file.
After the first graphic is displayed all subsequent graphics include parts of previous graphics.
This behavior occurs in OS X 10.5 - 10.10. (I wasn’t able to test it in 10.11 because the 2016
pretest file wouldn’t open and hence I couldn’t install the pretest there.) I think the problem
arises from ghostscript rather than xdvi. If I replace gs 9.19, which is part of 2016, with gs 9.10
graphics display correctly in xdvi. I see the same behavior with mactex 2015 (gs 9.16).
Everything works correctly with mactex 2014 (gs9.10) and mactex 2013 (gs.9.07).
The problem seems to lie with gs versions later than 9.10.

A sample file can be downloaded from www.math.tamu.edu/~tkiffe/tex/2016_xdvi_test.tar.gz <http://www.math.tamu.edu/~tkiffe/tex/2016_xdvi_test.tar.gz>

Tom