[OS X TeX] TeXShop prefs problem.

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Fri Jun 3 20:44:48 CEST 2016

Justin,

Thanks for this error report. There was certainly a problem, fixed in version 3.62
to be released very soon.

> On Jun 2, 2016, at 4:28 PM, Justin C. Walker <justin at mac.com> wrote:
>
> I just noticed this, while using the latest TeXShop on OS X, 10.11.5.
>
> The console window keeps popping up, even with “no errors”.  I finally became sufficiently curious to open prefs, and found that the setting was “always open”; I changed it to “only on errors”, and went back to TeXing.  Again, up popped the window.

Some users are confused about what this preference should do. When you
typeset, the console will always appear on screen.

If the Preference is set to “Console always appears”, then at the start of
typesetting, the console will pop up on top of all other windows. If there
is an error, it will still remain on top. But if there is no error, then the pdf window
will be pulled in front of the console at the very end.

If the Preference is set to “Console appears on error”, then at the start
of typesetting the console will be on screen, but perhaps partly hidden by the
source and preview windows. It will not pop to the front if there is no
error.  But if there is an
error, then it WILL pop to the front. After typesetting is complete, the pdf
will jump in front of the console.

The error, which I believe has been in TeXShop from the beginning, is that
when you first start TeXShop, the Preference setting will appear to be ALWAYS.
Actually, it will be whatever was last set, but unfortunately the interface does not
initialize the cluster of button settings the Console behavior when Preferences
is displayed.

Dick Koch