[OS X TeX] How make glossary with memoir class built-in facility and package imakeeidx

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 22:19:30 CEST 2016

That platexmkrc worked with the TeXShop pdflatexmk — up to a point: the glossary entry defined on the 2nd page (after the \newpage) never actually appears in the printed glossary. In fact, while the \glossentry for it gets put into the glossary.glo file, the corresponding \glossitem never gets put into the glossary.gls file.

For the record, here’s platexmkrc contents:

add_cus_dep('glo', 'gls', 0, 'makeglo2gls');
		sub makeglo2gls {
				system("makeindex -s basic.gst -t '$_[0]'.glg -o '$_[0]'.gls '$_[0]'.glo");
		};

> On30 Jul 2016 16:08:54 -0500,Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com <mailto:herbs at wideopenwest.com>> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 30, 2016, at 3:31 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com <mailto:murrayeisenberg at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> What changes to the ?pdflatexmk.engine" or the ?latexmkrcedit" file might be needed, if any, in order to run ?makeindex" from within a ?memoir" document class .tex source so as to create a glossary (along with an ordinary index)? Or is there an issue with the used ?imakeidx? package itself or the way I?m using it?
>>
>> Note that I?m using the built-in glossary facilities of the memoir class, and *not* the external package ?glossaries?.
>>
>> Below is the source, which when the pdflatexmk engine is run from within TeXShop, creates an *empty* file glossary.idx ? hence no glossary appears in the resulting .pdf.
>>
>>    \documentclass{memoir}
>>
>>    \usepackage{amsmath}
>>
>>    \usepackage[makeindex]{imakeidx}
>>    \makeindex[options=-s indexheaders]
>>    \makeglossary[glossary]
>>    \makeindex[name=glossary,title=Index of notation,options=-s glossarystyle.gst -o book.gls book.glo]
>>
>>    \begin{document}
>>
>>    The empty set is denoted by $\emptyset$.%
>>    \index{empty set!notation}
>>    \glossary[glossary]{$\emptyset$}{empty set}
>>
>>    The set of all subsets of a set $X$ is denoted by $\mathcal{P}(X)$.%
>>    \index{power set}
>>    \glossary[glossary]{$\mathcal{P}(X)$}{power set of set}
>>
>>    \newpage
>>
>>    For sets $X$ and $Y$, the notation $f \colon X \to Y$ means that $f$ is a functions from $X$ to $Y$.%
>>    \index{function!notation}
>>    \glossary[glossary]{$f \colon X \to Y$}{function from one set to another}.
>>
>>    \printindex
>>    \printglossary[glossary]
>>
>>    \end{document}
>>
>> This query is related to what I?ve posted a:t http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/321597/how-run-makeindex-inside-memoir-class-document-for-glossary <http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/321597/how-run-makeindex-inside-memoir-class-document-for-glossary> .
>> At least I?ve progressed to the point that running the pdflatexmk engine no longer produces an error ? just no glossary at all!
>
> Howdy,
>
> From the memoir manual, section 17.3.1 (and this has nothing to do with imakeidx---do you really need it?) the enclosed platexmkrc file should work. Place it in the same directory as your main/root source file and use the pdflatexmk engine.

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334