[OS X TeX] TeX Distribution preference pane

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Wed Jul 13 06:06:33 CEST 2016

John,

> Hi, Axel.  I use vi to write.

Oh! I see we profess different religions ---I use Emacs :).

> Before I began to use  pdflatex,  when I used just  latex, I used
> xdvi to view.  Now that I've been using pdflatex for the past couple
> of years, I've been using Preview.  Can I still write in vi if I use
> TeXShop to view? I have never opened TeXShop.  Maybe I should just
> play around.  Thanks.

As I said, I use Emacs... on Linux, that is ---when I have had to use my
old G5 Mac, I have gone back to typeset in TeXShop, although there are
very good distributions of Emacs for Mac OS.

Also, TeXShop's PDF viewer can be used with an external editor, which is
quiet convenient if you want the sync function, which, according to this

http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/wiki/index.php?title=SyncTeX#Vim_LaTeX.2FSkim

(all in one line) can be configured for Vim + Skim, also an excellent
PDF viewer with synctex enable; maybe also for Vim + TeXShop ---I don't
know.

(But I would strongly advise against the option «
--interaction=nonstopmode » they mention ---I much rather prefer the run
to stop at every error it finds instead of trying to correct it.

Best

Axel