[OS X TeX] TeX Distribution preference pane

John Thoo jthoo at yccd.edu
Tue Jul 12 02:33:44 CEST 2016

> On Jul 11, 2016, in Digest, Vol 105, Issue 4, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> On Jul 11, 2016, at 9:34 AM, John Thoo <jthoo at yccd.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> On Jul 9, 2016, at 12:00 PM, macosx-tex-request at email.esm.psu.edu wrote:
>>>
>>> In MacOSX-TeX Digest, Vol 105, Issue 3, I wrote:
>>>
>>> I think that what I'd like to do is to update to El Capitan, and then update TeX Live.
>>
>> I wish to thank Elliott Roper, Richard Koch, R Martinez, George Gratzer, Herbert Schulz, Adam R. Maxwell, Axel E. Retif, and others who responded.  Your responses encouraged me to take the plunge, updating to El Capitan and then installing the MacTeX-2016 Distribution.  Everything went well, I think.  I didn't even need to update XQuartz after updating OS X as I have had to with previous OS updates; I didn't note what version I had before updating to El Capitan, but I now have XQuartz 2.7.9.  (I have not tried xdvi because I typically use Preview to view the PDF file generated by pdflatex.)  The only thing that I needed to do was to change the path in my .profile from
>>
>> PATH="/usr/texbin:"$PATH

>> PATH="/Library/TeX/texbin:"$PATH
>>
>> Based on my short test, Tex seems to be working fine.  Thank you all again.
>>
>> ---John.
>> (I receive the digest.)
>
> Howdy,
>
> You shouldn't have to even do that! What do you get when you run
>
> echo $PATH
>
> in Terminal? The /Library/TeX/texbin should be appended near the end of the PATH already unless you have done something else that interferes with the normal operation of the system in assigning the PATH.

Howdy, Herb.  Thanks for your response.

In Yosemite, I had the path  PATH="/usr/texbin:"$PATH  in my .profile,

[517] bash-3.2$ echo $PATH
/usr/texbin:/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/Users/jbthoo/claw:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/X11/bin:/Users/jbthoo:

for pdflatex to work.

Removing the path I had for Yosemite, if I do not explicitly enter the path  PATH="/Library/TeX/texbin:"$PATH  in my .profile, pdflatex does not work in El Capitan.  (Note: "pltx" is an alias in my .profile:  pltx='pdflatex -shell-escape' .)

[519] bash-3.2$ echo $PATH
/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/Users/jbthoo/claw:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/X11/bin:/Users/jbthoo:
[520] bash-3.2$ pltx ca_main.tex
bash: pdflatex: command not found

After entering the path in my .profile, pdflatex works.

[523] bash-3.2$ echo $PATH
/Library/TeX/texbin:/sw/bin:/sw/sbin:/Users/jbthoo/claw:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/X11/bin:/Users/jbthoo:
[524] bash-3.2$ pltx ca_main.tex
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.17 (TeX Live 2016) (preloaded format=pdflatex)
 \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
(./ca_main.tex
LaTeX2e <2016/03/31>

[... blah, blah, blah...]

Output written on ca_main.pdf (112 pages, 712579 bytes).
Transcript written on ca_main.log.

I know just enough Unix to be dangerous to myself, and even less now, and I could have done something long ago that interferes with the normal operation of the system in assigning the PATH.  I don't know.

---John.
(I receive the digest.)