[OS X TeX] TeX Distribution preference pane

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Sat Jul 9 19:55:09 CEST 2016

John,

>> Thanks for your reply.  Since I'm not averse to updating to the
>> latest version of TeX Live, would the easiest thing for me to do be
>> to go to tug.org to download the latest MacTeX-2016 Distribution
>> and install it (over my current TeX Live version, whatever it is)
>> without using TeX Live Utility?
>
> TeX Live Utility is included with MacTeX, so if you install the
> latest one (including GUI apps) you get it anyway. If you just want
> to switch distributions that are installed now, you can download TLU
> by itself.
>
> regards, Adam

Although I haven't use MacOS in a while, I would advise you to install
the whole MacTeX.

It won't install TeXLive 2016 "over" your "current TeX Live version",
but side by side, so you can revert back to using your old version if
you need to.

It's up to the user to delete an old version, but unless you are short
of disk space, it's convenient to keep your previous version just in case.

Best

Axel