[OS X TeX] TeX Distribution preference pane

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Jul 9 00:25:33 CEST 2016

> On Jul 8, 2016, at 5:07 PM, John Thoo <jthoo at yccd.edu> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 8, 2016, at 12:00 PM, macosx-tex-request at email.esm.psu.edu wrote:
>>
>>> On 8 Jul 2016, at 16:02, John Thoo <jthoo at yccd.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi.  I am using Yosemite, and am thinking about updating to El Capitan now that Sierra has been announced.  I can't remember which version of TeX Live I have installed currently, so I went to System Preferences... and clicked on the TeX Distribution pane to find out.  However, when I did that, I got this box.

>>> | Preferences Error                                |
>>> |                                                  |
>>> | Could not load TeX Distribution preference pane. |
>>>
>>> What should I do?
>>>
>>> By the way, are there any tips for making a smooth update to El Capitan, particularly vis-a-vis TeX?  I don't use TeXShop; instead, I use a terminal window in XQuartz to typeset (pdflatex), and then Preview to view.
>>

>> Elliott Roper <elliott at yrl.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> I'm no expert, but that means you have a recent one. They gave up on the preference pane. Apple made it a hard to catch moving target I believe. The current way is to select the configure menu in TeX Live Utility then choose reconfigure distributions.
>
> Thanks, Elliott.
>
> I have TeX Live Utility Version 1.17 (1.17).  When I opened it (for the first time), I got this box.

Howdy,

TeX Live Utility is at version 1.24 so you're WAY out of date. You should be able to update using TeX Live Utility->Check For Updates…. What version of MacTeX/TeX Live do you have? If you don't have at least the version from 2015 there are other things you'll have to do if you change to El Capitan; see <http://www.tug.org/mactex/elcapitan.html> and the `Updating For El Capitan' document linked there (especially section 8 of that document).

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)