[OS X TeX] Encoding problem with TexShop 3.5.9 and 3.6.0

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Feb 11 21:40:54 CET 2016

> On Feb 11, 2016, at 2:04 PM, Rolf Schmolling <rolf.schmolling at alumni.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Folks,
>
> I am asking for your help. Ever since updating from TexShop 3.5.8 to 3.5.9 and now 3.6.0 I am facing a weird problem:
> When I open up one of my templates, TexShop complains „unknown encoding, using ISO Latin 9 instead“ (I am on a German system so this might have a different wording on an English system).
>
> In preferences I set TexShop up to use using Unicode UTF-16, in fact I never changed this. It seems not to matter whatever I select when saving a file for the first time, the error stays the same. When beforehand I could use real umlauts (ü, ö, ä,) now TexShop changes them to the TeX equivalents \“u etc.
>
> I tried to start with a clean new file and just retype my templates, same complaint from TexShop.
>
> I am on a MBP R, on OSX 10.10.5, all updates applied.
>
> The problem just goes away when I revert back to TexShop 3.5.8.
>
> Any ideas what procedure to follow?
>
> Thanks a bunch,
>
> Rolf

Howdy,

The default encoding for recent versions of TeXShop has changed from MacOSRoman to IsoLatin9. Do you have a line like

% !TEX encoding = xxxx

where xxxx is the encoding used for the file?

Is there a reason you have the default set to UTF-16 rather than UTF-8? In any case, are you using xe(la)tex or lua(la)tex to compile your files? If you're using pdflatex do you have a line containing \usepackage[....]{inputenc} where .... is the encoding used for the file?

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)