[OS X TeX] Skim badware?

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 20:10:44 CET 2016

On , at 2016 Feb 8,1:40 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

>> On Feb 8, 2016, at 10:34 AM, Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On , at 2016 Feb 8,2:04 AM, Stefan Evert wrote:
>>
>>> You can recognize the installers if you look closely, but I agree it's a risk for inexperienced users.  My rule of thumb: if the disk image contains an app that you simply drag to the Applications folder, it's probably fine – if you have to click to install, I become suspicious.
>>
>> Is that for sure? Instead of "putting bundle-ware installers **on** some open source projects", couldn't they put their "bundle-ware installers  **in**  some open source projects"?
>
> Howdy,
>
> There are a large number of great pieces of software that are on SourceForge and now the discussion makes it sound as though all SourceForge supplied software is filled with viruses, snoopware, etc. Enough is enough.
>
> Skim is excellent software and the title of this thread makes it sound as though it will take over your system. Enough is enough.

Now, not really:

1. The title of this thread was caused by uBlock. IT HAD A QUESTION MARK. And it was to find out the answer that I started the thread.

2. I never suggested, even for an instant, that Skim is not excellent software. In my first post I wrote: "I know that a number of people on this list have long used Skim." I tried to download it just to make sure it was safe to download for my students. Skim was NEVER the issue.

3. The Issue, if you will recall, was where can those of my students who use Mac download Skim from. That was the ONLY issue.

4. As for what I will do, as I mentioned before, someone sent me Skim and I am now waiting for word from the authors that it is ok for me to put it on my site for download. In the meantime, what would you suggest I do?

5, Would *you* let me recommend to my students---or to anyone else for that matter--- that they get it from Source Forge?

Baffled regards
--schremmer