[OS X TeX] Ghostscript 9.19

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Fri Apr 1 20:06:08 CEST 2016

Folks,

There is a new version of Ghostscript 9.19 on my web page,
replacing the old one from yesterday.

	http://pages.uoregon.edu/koch

Thanks to Herbert Schulz and Bruno Voisin for immediate
debugging of the previous version.

Explanation and Changes:

Ghostscript contains both 32 bit and 64 bit binaries, for
Intel and PPC. Each of these binaries occurs twice, once
with X11 support and once without.

But the package also contains binaries compiled on the latest
operating system, currently El Capitan. Again, these binaries
occur twice, once with X11 support and once without.

In the post install phase of installation, the appropriate
binaries for your particular OS are retitled

	gs-X11
	gs-noX11

and gs is defined as a symbolic link to one of these, depending
on whether you have X11 or not. The remaining binaries are
removed.

1) In the previous version, the X11 and the noX11 binaries
for El Capitan were the same, because I incorrectly disabled X11
on El Capitan when compiling. It isn’t enough to rename X11 and X11R6 in
/usr/local because these occur again in /usr. All point to
/opt/X11 and it is necessary to rename /opt/X11. Fixed

2) The previous version had slightly old cifmap and Fontmap
entires in the font extensions by Bruno Voisin. Bruno immediately
sent updates, which are in this version.

3) After installation, the previous version left binaries in /usr/local/bin
named gs-X11-Yosemite and gs-noX11-Yosemite. When this
error was reported, I misdiagnosed the problem. The real problem
was that I initially named the latest binaries with the name of the
operating system. For Ghostscript 9.16, this name was gs-X11-Yosemite.
For Ghostscript 9.18, the name was gs-X11-ElCapitan. Later during
postinstall, these binaries were supposed to either be thrown away
or renamed as gs-X11. But this meant that “Yosemite” and “El Capitan”
were scattered through the scripts and it was all to easy to forget
to change one of them.

So in the new version, the binaries for the current operating system
are named gs-X11-Latest and almost no entries in scripts need
updating.

I suspect that the gs-X11-Yosemite and gs-noX11-Yosemite came from
Ghostscript-9.18 introduced last November. These files do no harm,
but if you want to remove them from /usr/local/bin, you need to do it
yourself. The new install package should not leave garbage binaries.

4) This install package is signed with an official Apple developer
signature. In Bruno’s case, the signature wasn’t recognized. I’d
appreciate other reports about this issue one way or the other.
Of course, you need to set your security to accept applications with
a developer signature. If security is set to only accept applications
from the App Store, the OS will complain.

Dick Koch