[OS X TeX] TeXShop 3.54

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Sep 30 16:39:58 CEST 2015

> On Sep 30, 2015, at 9:25 AM, Peter Teeson <peter.teeson at icloud.com> wrote:
>
> I’m on Yosemite 10.10.5. As I said my sequence was:
>
>> Had updated to 3.53 and manually changed Preferences Engine to /Library/TeX/texbin.
>>
>> Just now manually DL’d 3.54 and installed in Applications/TeX.
>> Checked preferences for Engine and it shows /Library/TeX/texbin
>
> TexLive did the first update to 3.53.
> I followed Herb’s document to change the GUI’s.
> Later I saw Dick’s email.
> So DL’d 3.54 and dragged to Applications/TeX
> I did not have to change /Preferences/Engine myself for 3.54.
> Somehow it retained /Library/TeX/texbin from 3.5.3
>
> respect…
>
> Peter

Howdy,

That's pretty standard behavior; newer versions of an application retain the preferences for the older version. On occasion a newer version of an application is changed enough that it creates new preferences but that is not the normal behavior.

On the other hand, from TeXShop 3.52 and later and if you've installed MacTeX-2015 (which will create the /Library/TeX/texbin link --- as well as /usr/texbin on OS X 10.10 and earlier) that preference setting will automatically shift from /usr/texbin to /Library/TeX/texbin once you install OS X 10.11 (El Capitan). I know of no other TeX related GUI applications that do that at this time; that's why the document about `Updating For El Capitan' at <http://www.tug.org/mactex/elcapitan.html> exists.

PS: I'm willing to add information about more applications to that document if folks send instructions and figures to me. So far I've only received that for Lyx.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)