[OS X TeX] El Capitan and fonts in texmf-local

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Sep 30 02:31:08 CEST 2015

> On Sep 29, 2015, at 6:53 PM, Richard Seguin <riseguin at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 29, 2015, at 6:29 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sep 29, 2015, at 6:21 PM, Richard Seguin <riseguin at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I looked at the changes to TeXShop 3.53 and was reminded that /usr will no longer be writeable under El Capitan. I have fonts located in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local. I also notice that there appears to be a symbolic link to that folder in /Library/TeX.
>>>
>>> I'm currently running TeXLive-2015 on 10.10.5. If I install El Capitan, will it overwrite, and will I thus lose, the fonts that I currently have in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local? Prior to installing El Capitan, should I be moving my fonts somewhere else, for example, into /Library/TeX? If so, and I move them, then will I have to run a script to remap these fonts?
>>>
>>> Richard Séguin
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> /usr/local is still usable so there is no change with the TeX Live distribution itself. For information about MacTeX & El Capitan go to <http://www.tug.org/mactex/elcapitan.html>.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>
> Herb,
>
> OK, I think you’re telling me that when I install El Capitan, my fonts will not be deleted and will still be there in /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local. However, if /usr is no longer writeable, I’ll never be able to add any additional fonts in this folder in the future. So, there must be a new preferred location for putting fonts, right? And where would that be, and if so, should I just go ahead and move my existing fonts to this new location?
>
> Richard Séguin

Howdy,

No, while /usr itself is not writable /usr/local and sub-directories are writable. Of course, if they are owned by root (as is the default) you need to use sudo (and give your admin password) to do just like before. There is nothing to worry about as far as that is concerned.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)