[OS X TeX] Umlauts won't print

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Sep 26 20:38:27 CEST 2015

> On Sep 26, 2015, at 12:02 PM, Manuel <libros2 at limay.de> wrote:
>

> Am 26/9/15 um 18:21 schrieb Herbert Schulz:
>>> On Sep 26, 2015, at 11:04 AM, Manuel <libros2 at limay.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Why can't I just copy and paste the error message? Anyway, it says (important part):
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I assume you mean Copy the message from the Console window in TeXShop. You CAN do that! First Abort the process (there's a button for that at the top of that window) and then Click in the Console Window to select it. From then on you can Copy from that pane
>
> Ah, now I can copy and paste. Thanks, Herb! It says…
>>> Package babel Error: Unknown language 'german'.
>>>
>> Does it really say that or is it `ngerman'?
>
> ./IÃÅndice.aux:5: Package babel Error: Unknown language `german'. Either you ha
> ve
> (babel)                misspelled its name, it has not been installed,
> (babel)                or you requested it in a previous run. Fix its name,
> (babel)                install it or just rerun the file, respectively.
>
> See the babel package documentation for explanation.
> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>
> l.5 \select at language{german}
>
> ?
> Process aborted
>>> The document is, indeed, fairly old, I'd guess I was using OS Tiger when it was created, but it was changed many times until I was using OS Snow Leopard (and my macbook would not support Lion or Mountain Lion). The preamble is a sort of template for many things. For example, no pdf or graphics are included in the present document, nor cyrillic or greek characters.
>>>
>>> Is the "Not so short Introduction to LaTex" still up to date?
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> Manuel
>> What version of MacTeX are you using? If you installed MacTeX-2015 you should definitely have `ngerman'.
> I am using
>
> Versión 3.52 (3.52)
> Copyright 2001-2014
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

Did you clean out the .aux files, etc., from your previous runs? It sounds like you're picking up stuff from an old run.

Also, That is version 3.52 of TeXShop. When you look at the Console out put you should see a path that looks like /usr/local/texlive/2015/texmf-dist/... for TeX Live 2015 --- a different year for other years.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)