[OS X TeX] To upgrade or not to upgrade (To 10.10)

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 05:45:33 CEST 2015

My PPC 10.5.8 finally died. To tide me over, I got an old mac mini which came with 10.6.8 to which I migrated the time machine backup. While things now work, I ran into a lot of problems. But the one thing that didn't cause any trouble whatsoever was the 2013 LaTeX installation. That went totally unnoticed.

I just now got a Mid 2011 mac mini running a thunderbolt screen that came with Yosemite on it. Remembrances of threads past say that installing LaTeX on it is not going to be a peaceful operation.

So, what are the pro and con of keeping 10.10 against reverting to 10.6? More specifically, I have two questions:

1. If I revert to 10.6, I can just migrate the LaTeX installation from the current mac mini 10.6.8 which should be painless. But what would I be losing LaTeX-wise?

2. If I keep 10.10, how do I go about getting a LaTeX installation painlessly?

Hopeful regards
--schremmer