[OS X TeX] eps -> pdf conversion

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Fri Sep 11 01:21:05 CEST 2015

> On Sep 10, 2015, at 3:35 PM, Greg St. George <gstgeorge at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I imagine it is ghostscript doing the conversions under the hood.  I am completely ignorant of this program, and also of almost all things font related.  Is there a way to educate ghostscript on substitutions?  Alternatively, is there a way to write a script which would call up the graphics files (there are hundreds) and substitute some other font for the bad Computer Modern fonts in the .eps files? Interestingly, if I just double click on the .eps files, the conversion which the OS makes to .pdf  *does* seem to find these old fonts.

Your observation that double clicking on an eps produces an acceptable pdf means most likely that you have Preview as the default application to open an eps, and it performs the conversion to pdf using Apple's distiller. So, one approach might be to simply set TeXShop's distiller preference to "Apple Distiller" (Misc tab) and avoid pdftex in favor of latex+dvips, but if you are willing to convert each eps to a pdf, which might entail some renaming or simply deleting from the source document all occurrences of ".eps", you could make a simple AppleScript or Automator script to do a mass conversion, then use pdftex.

Michael