[OS X TeX] Install fail

Ettore Aldrovandi ealdrov at math.fsu.edu
Thu Sep 3 23:15:57 CEST 2015

> On Sep 3, 2015, at 15:03, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the information. I knew that the change in Terminal->Preferences was local. I figured it was just easier to try to figure out what was going on in a shell that used only one file (he has no .profile, .bash_profile, etc.).

Indeed. The problem could be that you might end up executing a non login shell. To make that work, one can’t rely on path_helper (thereby creating a non typical situation anyway) and must set the path directly from the environment startup files, but something else was happening…

> What I don't understand is why, when using the same file as he had before but with /Library/TeX/texbin substituted for /usr/texbin he got a completely unusable path variable.

Something got in there maybe. I can’t spot it.

—Ettore