[OS X TeX] Install fail

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Sep 3 17:39:40 CEST 2015

> On Sep 3, 2015, at 9:47 AM, John Burt <burt at brandeis.edu> wrote:
>
> I forgot to mention that csh.login and profile are in \etc
>
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 10:45 AM, John Burt <burt at brandeis.edu> wrote:
> Ettore, Herb, thank you so much for all your help with this mystery.
>
> Here are some answers to your questions
>
> 1. I don't have .tcshrc in my home directory.
> 2. I do have csh.login, and this is its content:
> # System-wide .login file for csh(1).
>
> setenv PATH "/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin"
> ## TeX added /usr/texbin start at Thu Jan 21 10:53:41 EST 2010
> ## Do not remove the previous line
> if ("${uid}" != "0") then
>   set path = ( ${path} "/usr/texbin" )
> endif
> ## Do not remove the next line
> ## TeX added /usr/texbin end at Thu Jan 21 10:53:41 EST 2010
> ## setloginpath added /usr/local/bin start at Tue Sep  1 12:54:10 EDT 2015
> ## Do not remove the previous line
> if ("${uid}" != "0") then
>   set path = ( ${path} /usr/local/bin )
> endif
> ## Do not remove the next line
> ## setloginpath added /usr/local/bin end at Tue Sep  1 12:54:10 EDT 2015
>

> 3. I do have profile, and this is its content:
> # System-wide .profile for sh(1)
>
> PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin"
> export PATH
>
> if [ "${BASH-no}" != "no" ]; then
> 	[ -r /etc/bashrc ] && . /etc/bashrc
> fi
> ## TeX added /usr/texbin start at Thu Jan 21 10:53:41 EST 2010
> ## Do not remove the previous line
> if [ `whoami` != "root" ]
> then
>   PATH="$PATH:/usr/texbin"
>   export PATH
> fi
> ## Do not remove the next line
> ## TeX added /usr/texbin end at Thu Jan 21 10:53:41 EST 2010
> ## setloginpath added /usr/local/bin start at Tue Sep  1 12:54:10 EDT 2015
> ## Do not remove the previous line
> if [ `whoami` != "root" ]
> then
>   PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin"
>   export PATH
> fi
> ## Do not remove the next line
> ## setloginpath added /usr/local/bin end at Tue Sep  1 12:54:10 EDT 2015
>

> with much thanks!
> John
>

> On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 10:08 PM, Ettore Aldrovandi <ealdrov at mail.math.fsu.edu> wrote:
> Herb,
>
> John has answered that the file /etc/paths.d/TeX contains the line /Library/TeX/texbin.
>
> So the question is why that file doesn’t get read. The files in /etc/paths.d are read by /usr/libexec/path_helper, which is called by /etc/csh.login (for csh) or /etc/profile (bash and ksh) or /etc/zshenv (for zsh).
>
> Which files should have been edited? Those under /etc? That’s possible but unlikely. There could be some other .file lingering somewhere that we don’t know about. One possibility is .tcshrc.

> [...]

Howdy,

So, it looks like those files have been edited in the past. Not a good thing to do but it explains you problem with /usr/texbin showing up in PATH and path. Since I don't really know how to make the system assume they haven't been edited I'll simply change every instance of /usr/texbin in those files to /Library/TeX/texbin and have you replace the ones you have in /etc with the fixed files.

Place the attached files on your Desktop and then execute the following commands in Terminal giving your Admin password (it IS necessary) when requested

cd ~/Desktop
sudo cp profile /etc
sudo cp csh.login /etc

then quit Terminal. You might have to logout and then login but the next time you open Terminal run the command

echo $path

and see if /Library/TeX/texbin is in the path and /usr/texbin is no longer in the path. Oh... once you see that the path has been fixed up you can delete the profile and csh.login files from your Desktop.