[OS X TeX] Install fail

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Sep 2 20:39:58 CEST 2015

> On Sep 2, 2015, at 1:22 PM, John Burt <burt at brandeis.edu> wrote:
>
> [C07H5099DJD2:~/Documents/TeX documents/articles] burt% echo $SHELL
> /bin/tcsh
>
> There is a symbolic link to texbin in the TeX folder
>
> I see that I can get rid of the FINk material by throwing away the /sw folder
>
> John
>
> Thanks for all your help!
>
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 2:09 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
> > On Sep 2, 2015, at 12:45 PM, John Burt <burt at brandeis.edu> wrote:
> >
> > [C07H5099DJD2:~] burt% echo $PATH
> > /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/texbin:/usr/local/bin
> > [C07H5099DJD2:~] burt% which tar
> > /usr/bin/tar
> > [C07H5099DJD2:~] burt%
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 1:40 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
> > > On Sep 2, 2015, at 12:26 PM, John Burt <burt at brandeis.edu> wrote:
> > >
> > > How do I remove this version of tar?
> > >
> > > How do I remove all of the fink software on my system?
> > >
> > > On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 12:01 PM, Herb Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
> > > Howdy,
> > >
> > > That's ancient and terrible! Ever since OS X 10.6 Plc code hasn't been supported. You really need to remove that stuff or you'll run into other problems in the future.
> > >
> > > Good Luck,
> > > Herb Schulz

> > Howdy,
> >
> > Ok. Let's try to follow Ettore's advice first.
> >
> > In Terminal run
> >
> > cd
> > ls -a
> >
> > and see which of .profile, .bash_profile and .bashrc (notice the leading period) are present. Then, for each of the ones that are present run
> >
> > mv originalfile oldoriginalfile
> >
> > e.g., if .profile is present run
> >
> > mv .profile old.profile
> >
> > which will deactivate them as well as make them visible in your HOME foler in Finder.
> >
> > Then log out and back in and then open Terminal again and run
> >
> > echo $PATH
> > which tar
> >
> > and let us know what information is returned.
> >
> > Good Luck,
> >
> > Herb Schulz
> > (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>
> Howdy,
>
> That looks pretty good for now; the Fink stuff won't be searched.
>
> I want to check to see if you are using bash as your shell in Terminal. What does
>
> echo $SHELL
>
> return?
>
> I'm wondering why /usr/texbin is in the PATH when MacTeX-2015 should have changed that to /Library/TeX/texbin. First see that texbin exists in /Library/TeX; Click on the Go Menu in Finder and click `Go to Folder…' (Shift-Cmd-G) typing /Library/TeX in the line and pressing Return and seeing of texbin is installed. Let us know if it's there and we'll fix up the PATH problem.
>
> Incidentally, you might try to install the Setup-2015.pkg in any case and see if that changes the result of

> [...]

Ok, you're using the tcsh shell. After installing Setup-2015.pkg what does

echo $path

(note the lower case $path) return? If it still contains /usr/texbin rather than /Library/TeX/texbin please run the following command in Terminal

sudo echo "/Library/TeX/texbin" > /etc/paths.d/TeX

and give your admin password when asked. Finally, log out and back in (for good luck --- you probably don't really have to do this) and, in Terminal again, rerun the command

echo $path

which should now, correctly include /Library/TeX/texbin rather than /usr/texbin.

No real need to remove the /sw directory for now unless you are really hurting for disk space.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)