[OS X TeX] [aquamacs-devel] Aquamacs & El Capitan

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Oct 30 13:23:55 CET 2015

> On Oct 29, 2015, at 9:17 PM, Ettore Aldrovandi <ealdrov at mail.math.fsu.edu> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 29, 2015, at 19:38, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I have Aquamacs 3.2 on my system. For some reason it doesn't seem to pick up the changed PATH variable. The correct path is shown in Terminal.app so the system is using the /etc/paths.d/TeX file which contains /Library/TeX/texbin.
>
> It would be interesting to see what fails and how.  Does it not find the tex binaries to execute, or  is it something else?
>
> If you launch Aquamacs and you do (M is Meta, typically it would be the Option key):
>
> 	M-x customize-variable RET exec-path RET
>
> what do you see?
>
> —Ettore

Howdy,

That incantation and discovering ^C^L to see what was happening in the compile led me to the real problem and I'm very sorry for the noise!

The command above showed me that the PATH was fine, /Library/TeX/texbin was being picked up from the system PATH.

The real problem (which gave the error after (0) pages were processed) was that the latex command had been changed (by me? long ago?) to be pdflatex and the pdf mode was turned on so Aquamacs was attempting to execute pdfpdflatex. All is well here now.

Now, why are some other folks saying that Aquamacs isn't compiling LaTeX files for them under El Capitan? I'm getting these comments via the mactex-support list as well as personal emails from folks I've helped in the past.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)