[OS X TeX] Aquamacs & El Capitan

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Oct 29 19:45:28 CET 2015

> On Oct 29, 2015, at 1:17 PM, Ettore Aldrovandi <ealdrov at mail.math.fsu.edu> wrote:
>
> Herb,
>
> I’m cc’ing the Emacs on Mac OS X list and the aquamacs-devel one. David will probably be able to give you a more comprehensive answer.
>
> In the file
>
> <appdirectory>/Aquamacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/aquamacs/edit-modes/auctex-config.el
>
> a number of directories, currently including /usr/texbin are *concatenated* to the PATH. Yeah, that should be replaced by /Library/TeX/texbin. I understand a new release is in the making, so this change may make it.
>
> However, Aquamacs inherits my PATH just fine: in my case it does have /usr/texbin in its environment, but I have TeXLive installed under /opt (and available through /etc/paths.d) and it picks it just fine.
>
> I don’t know what happens with the standard Emacs.app.
>
> —Ettore
>
>> On Oct 28, 2015, at 16:24, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Not having used emacs since the 1980's I have no idea how to fix the internally used PATH in emacs, Aquamacs in particular, so that external commands can be executed via AUCTeX using /Library/TeX/texbin. I'll need a complete description of file contents, file names, storage locations and any incantations that must be executed to fix the problem once and for all.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

I thought it inherited the correct PATH variable, include the /etc/paths.d/TeX contents (/Library/TeX/texbin). In Terminal everything works properly, i.e., PATH does pick up /Library/TeX/texbin.

I've changed the /usr/texbin in auctex-config.el but it still won't execute pdflatex. Is there something I have to do to for AUCTeX to re-initialize itself or is auctex-config.el executed on every start? Maybe that's all it needs.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)