[OS X TeX] PDFKit - memory leak or memory hog?

Richard Seguin riseguin at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 24 18:47:35 CEST 2015

I saw someone on the net complaining that since they updated to El Capitan, Preview seems to have acquired a memory leak and was consuming large amounts of RAM, especially with multiple documents open. They claimed that Skim had the same problem. They didn’t mention TeXShop, but I assumed that it would have the same problem if the other two did. I’m running El Capitan myself, so I checked it out.

I just opened a single 189 page, 1.5MB, PDF document with Skim, and Skim was initially consuming around 50MB. As I paged through the document one page at a time, the RAM usage kept increasing with each page, and when I hit the end, Skim was consuming an astounding 726MB. It did drop back down to 50MB when I closed the document, so it isn’t clear to me if this is actually technically a memory leak problem, or that this is a massive memory hog problem.

Richard Séguin