[OS X TeX] how to add Greek character

David Derbes loki at uchicago.edu
Sun Oct 11 20:53:58 CEST 2015

Hi, Peter.

I attach an almost minimal working example, in the hopes that it will be more illuminating. As people sometimes ask also about Russian, that’s included also. This compiles with LaTeX. Note that the Greek is entered as transliteration, while the Cyrillic is native. Probably there is a way to use Greek natively, but I haven’t found a good solution with the gfsporson package, and I really like the Porson font.

Best wishes,
David Derbes
U of Chicago Laboratory Schools

——————————————————————————————

\documentclass[10 pt]{article}
\usepackage[T2A]{fontenc}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[english,greek,russian]{babel}
\languageattribute{greek}{polutoniko} %for accents
\usepackage{gfsporson} %for a particular Greek font
\thispagestyle{empty}

\begin{document}

\selectlanguage{greek}
\textporson{kt~hm'a te  >es a>ie`i  m~allon >`h  >ag'wnisma >es t`o paraqr~hma >ako'uein x'ugkeitai.}  \\
\selectlanguage{english}

\emph{This work was written not for the author to profit today but for the reader to keep forever.}\\

\hfill Thucydides, \emph{The Peloponnesian War}, I.22.4\\

\selectlanguage{russian}
И лучше выдумать не мог. \\
\selectlanguage{english}

\emph{And a better plan he couldn't find.}\\

\hfill Aleksandr S.\,Pushkin, \emph{Eugene Onegin}, I.4

\end{document}