[OS X TeX] Where to get MacTeX-2013?

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 22:53:59 CEST 2015

On , at 2015 Oct 9,4:25 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> It should be
>>>
>>> sudo nano /usr/local/texlive/2015/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf
>>>
>>> since the texmf folder was eliminated and all that information was placed in texmf-dist. Also, note that it should be 2015 instead of 2011.
>>
>> 1. In fact, it had to be 2013. :-)))
>>
>> But, even though I don't expect ever having to do this again, I have modified accordingly the "Voisin procedure" which I keep.
>>
>> 2. OK, so now it seems to work and it looks like I am stuck with Yosemite. :-((
>> Still, why couldn't Apple let these files continue to work under MacTex 2015?
>>

> Howdy,
>
> What files are you talking about?

 I was referring to the problem I am having namely that all these hundreds of files which work fine with MacTeX 2013 under Snow Leopard do not work with the same MacTeX 2013 which I posted on October 3 under the thread "To compile or not to compile."

> If you mean your book that depends upon a file structure that requires a change to the default setting of TeX Live I don't think that has anything to do with Apple. And you can expect that every time you update to a new TeX Live the way you do things will have to be changed again for that new distribution. I believe there actually is a way to make the changes that will live through new versions of TeX Live but I haven't tested it so haven't suggested it. If you wish to try it let me know.

Since I have a working set up, I will pass unless you would like me to try it.

> If you're talking about the necessity to change from /usr/texbin to /Library/TeX/texbin that only happens with an update to OS X 10.11 and isn't a problem with OS X 10.10.x. That was done for security purposes and the vast majority of folks will never notice it. We happen to be in the relatively small group that feels it. Luckily there are folks out there that can figure out how to handle the problems.

Since the book itself compiles with MacTeX 2013 both under Snow Leopard and the same MacTeX 2013 under Yosemite, I assume that this is not the case.

Unfortunately, I spoke too soon as the plot thickened as while the ancillaries which depend on ProbSoln compile with MacTeX 2013 under Snow Leopard they do NOT compile with MacTeX 2013 under Yosemite.

So, even though my first mac was a fat mac, I am most probably through with Yosemite as I no longer have the time and energy to try and fix it---not to mention the number of files I would probably have to modify.

>> I want again to thank the list for the help it gave me in "my hour of need".

And I still want to thank all.

> Sorry to sound a bit upset but I don't think this is a problem caused by Apple or MacTeX/TeX Live.

I am absolutely certain that this is NOT a problem caused by MacTeX since it has worked perfectly all the way up to Snow Leopard.

This is not a big issue for me since I do have a pre Mid 2011 mac mini under Snow Leopard and I will stick with it. But I am sorry if I have upset you the least little bit and I wish to apologize.

 Best regards to all
--schremmer