[OS X TeX] El Capitan, TL-2015 and font maps

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Nov 28 20:23:07 CET 2015

> On Nov 28, 2015, at 1:03 PM, Thomas Käufl <kaeufl at online.de> wrote:
>

>> Am 28.11.2015 um 13:42 schrieb Eric van der Oord <eric.vanderoord at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Thank you so much, Herb. I have my favorite fonts back !
>>
>> I promise never more use sudo with updmap.
>
> To be precise: Herb wrote: Don’t use sudo updmap when
> updating the local TeX tree.
>
> After changes in the texlive/texmf-local tree,
> sudo updmap must be used.
>
> Did you follow the instructions in the document
> TeXLive2014+Changes.pdf and did you install your
> fonts in texmf-local. After updating to mactex-2015
> it was necessary to rebuild the system wide map
> file. I followed the instructions contained in the
> document and now, everything works fine.
>
> Btw. Thank you Herb for this doument.
>
> Regards
> Thomas Käufl

Howdy,

Not quite... You should ONLY use updmap and no sudo if you have placed fonts in your personal tree.

If you only place additional fonts in the texmf-local tree you should run

sudo updmap-sys

(notice the -sys).

The updmap-sys command needs sudo because it writes to one of the distribution trees which are owned by root (/usr/local/texlive/2015/texmf-var). But the updmap-sys command does NOT look at fonts in your personal tree (~/Library/texmf) since it creates a global map file to be used by all users with logins on that system.

If you have fonts in your personal tree you must use the updmap command which writes a global map file to a texmf-var tree created in ~/Library/texlive/2015 (not to get mixed up with your personal tree at ~/Library/texmf) which is owned by you; so no sudo is needed. When the system is looking for a global map file it reads in the first one it finds and stops and it searches your personal texmf-var before the distribution version. That's why you should set up TeX Live Utility's Preferences so that TLU runs updmap if updmap-sys is run when you update the TeX distribution.

Hope that isn't too confusing!

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)