[OS X TeX] convert .dvi to .pdf

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Tue Nov 24 05:29:27 CET 2015

> On Nov 23, 2015, at 6:50 PM, Alan Bowen <bowenalan03 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The original files were encoded in Plain TeX. But how they were generated escapes me (after some 25 or so). I seem to recall an implementation of TeX for the Mac called MacTeX but this may be mistaken.
>
> I do have the TeX files but  not the macro files, I am sad to say—which is part of why I am trying to work with the .div files.
>
> I have faked the Times-Roman files as you suggested and am now looking for a way to convert my Graeca.ttf file (—> Graeca.afm) —> Graeca.tfm. Any suggestions—or is this not the way to go?

Perhaps you were using CMacTeX, one of the principal versions of TeX for the Mac 25 years ago.

The main information you might glean from your .tex files is, knowing their text encodings, what was intended to be in the .dvi files. There isn't any issue with the body text as that is all OT1, but the headings (Times-Roman) do have characters outside the ASCII range, and the source file could be helpful there. I believe that there was no standard Greek encoding 25 years ago (the 8-bit standard today is LGR), but it might be possible to get that from the source also. You would need to know the Greek encoding used before you could construct an appropriate tfm. From the dvi you provided, it appears that there are only a handful of Greek letters in the file and if you can see from the source what was intended, that could be corrected.

Michael