[OS X TeX] href in beamer

John Thoo jthoo at yccd.edu
Mon Nov 2 21:19:35 CET 2015

On Oct 26, 2015, at 12:00 PM, in MacOSX-TeX Digest, Vol 96, Issue 15
I wrote:

> On Oct 23, 2015, at 12:00 PM, "Justin C. Walker" <justin at mac.com> wrote
> in MacOSX-TeX Digest, Vol 96, Issue 13:
>
>> On Oct 22, 2015, at 14:59 , John Thoo wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.  I am making a presentation using  beamer.  I want to link to a PDF file that is in a subfolder, so I have in my LaTeX sourcefile
>>>
>>> \href{./Activities/1-5-S-OilSlick-StudentVersion.pdf}{Student version}
>> [snip]
>>
>> This may help:
>> <http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/142351/create-a-link-to-open-another-pdf-not-in-the-current-directory?lq=1>
>>
>> There are related questions linked from this page.
>
> Thank you for the pointer.  But I have to say that I had the strangest experience.  For reasons I don't understand, my original code works now (i.e., the linked PDF opens in a new Preview window when I click on it in the beamer PDF file that is also open in Preview).  The only thing that I've done since I posted my query is that I shut down and restarted my laptop over the weekend.
>
> So, without making any changes to my code (above), it just seems to work now.

Follow up.

When I entered a new hyperlink as I did before

  \href{./Activities/filename.pdf}{Link to file}

the new one didn't work while the old ones still did.  Strange.  So I went back to the link that Justin C. Walker provided

> This may help:
> <http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/142351/create-a-link-to-open-another-pdf-not-in-the-current-directory?lq=1>

and tried the tip there:

  \href{run:./Activities/filename.pdf}{Link to file}

adding "run" at the beginning, and that seems to work consistently now. Again, I'm using Preview as my viewer.  Anyway, I just wanted to follow up.

Thanks again, Justin.

---John.
(I received the digest)

*PRIMUS*
The all-around best journal for undergraduate mathematics teaching.
<http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/upri20/current>  or Twitter @ReadPRIMUS