[OS X TeX] TeX Live 2015 and MacTeX-2015

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Tue Jun 23 19:54:45 CEST 2015

Hi

thanks for these extra information bits about the genesis of
the Programs directory,

I am sure that the extra level of indirection has a completely
negligible efficiency impact ; nevertheless I decided when
creating manually /Library/TeX/texbin to forget about the
Programs location. I learn from your message that some
future version of the Preference Pane might very well make use
of it, and I thus make a note to myself to be aware of that
in the future.

The /Library/TeX/texbin is perfectly fine with me, as would have been
any more obscure location inside /Library/TeX. I actually don't know
what use there can be for MacTeX users not familiar with command
line to actually have access to texbin from the Finder easily
(which is granted via /Library/TeX but not so if in some deeper location)

The only things I felt like adding to texbin/ in the past
have been symlinks latexdef -> texdef or xelatexdef -> texdef,
and the like,
but in the end I created them in /usr/local/bin with the idea
that they would survive there to the yearly TeXLive/MacTeX installs
(thanks to the primary texbin symlink)

Thanks for the alert about future El Capitan. I skipped Yosemite
as I don't own a retina display and I am not enthusiastic about
the smartphone iOS looks.

Apologies for multiple postings: subscribing to the list late last week
proved a challenge and Gary Gray helped me out (thanks Gary!).
Only today do I get confirmation this all worked out in the end.

Jean-François