[OS X TeX] Using STIX for a single font

David Derbes loki at uchicago.edu
Sun Jun 14 16:55:02 CEST 2015

Long story, not to bore you, but I would really like a lower-case script math p. There is one in STIX, stix-mathscr. I don’t want the fonts of the document (a book) to be STIX, but I would love to use this one character. I’ve tried the following, but it doesn’t work:

in the preamble:

\usepackage[notext,nomath]{stix}

and in the document

\begin{equation}
|\mathbf{p}| = {\fontfamily{stix-mathscr}\selectfont p}
\end{equation}

but all I get is |\mathbf{p}| = p

where p is the usual math font for p.

I’ve tried loading the package both before and after \amsmath. No luck. My guess is that I’m invoking the font change incorrectly. Any help would be most welcome, and I apologize for what is probably an elementary question.

Thanks in advance,
David Derbes
U of Chicago Lab Schools