[OS X TeX] Feature request on TeXShop's "Experiment" mechanism

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Jun 4 01:01:34 CEST 2015

> On Jun 3, 2015, at 5:49 PM, Ross Moore <ross.moore at mq.edu.au> wrote:
>
> Hi Alain,
>
> On 03/06/2015, at 12:40 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>
>> On the other hand, Adobe is not welcome on my machine because it is really too intrusive.
>
> Is this because it continually advises you of updates being available?
>
> Surely this is better than just installing them automatically,
> without telling you?
>
> You can easily adjust how it behaves in a Preference pane.
> Automatically downloading may be the recommended default,
> but if that irks you, then just change it.
>
> <Screen shot 2015-06-04 at 8.17.38 AM.png>
>

> That is hardly a valid reason to avoid a very useful piece of software.
>
> I find that Acrobat Pro is indispensible for:
>
>  1. reading and annotating student work;
>  2. filling PDF forms
>  3. electronic signatures on such forms
>  4. adding, deleting or reordering pages
>  5. combining multiple PDFs and Images into a single document
>  6. extracting images from PDFs
>  7. small edits in existing PDFs
>
> Further, it is the only tool (apart from limited web-services)
> capable of checking and validation of special features that
> I am developing the TeX/LaTeX coding for, to enrich PDFs to
> satisfy international standards.
>
> Yes, there are tools that can do some of the above; but APro
> has it all together, so is much more convenient to use.
> The latest versions, v11 and the newly released DC, are
> significant advances on previous versions.
> It just keeps getting better and better.
>
> With Education pricing, it is not expensive and often will
> be bundled with Illustrator, Photoshop, etc. and paid for
> by a site-wide license at your University or Research Institute.
>

>> Best regards
>> --schremmer
>

> Hope this helps,
>
> 	Ross
>

> Ross Moore

Howdy,

I believe Alain is still on OS X 10.5 using a PPC system. Does Adobe really still support that?

I believe the real problem is that Adobe tends to want to install all sorts of stuff you don't want when you install Adobe Reader (e.g., a Safari plugin so that pdf files are displayed by AR rather than the built-in pdf display). YOu really have to be careful and make sure you don't let it install that stuff and then go through the preferences and have it un-install other stuff. Once that's done I have no problem with AR and it certainly can be used for testing things when PDFKit goes wrong; e.g., the font display mess under OS X 10.10.0--10.10.2.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)