[OS X TeX] Feature request on TeXShop's "Experiment" mechanism

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Tue Jun 2 03:21:50 CEST 2015

Hi Markus,

On 02/06/2015, at 8:55 AM, Markus Klyver wrote:

> Who copy pastes from a PDF anyway? PDF is used for one thing – reading.

That is 20th century thinking.
In the 21st century, PDF is getting enriched with all kinds of extra
structures that allow much greater flexibility --- provided the
PDF reader supports it.

Supporting Copy/Paste is just one such. Read Out Loud is important too.
Exporting to XML, Rich Text, Word .doc, and more are other things;
also Tooltips, a multitude of annotation types, Javascript actions, etc.

You can get these features with Adobe products.
Unfortunately Apple only sees PDF as a graphics format,
and its reader software has limitations because of this.

> If you want to copy, edit or modify the text, use the source TeX file.

Sure. Include the TeX source as an attachment to your PDF.
There is a package  attachfile2.sty  that does this.

Unfortunately Preview, and presumably other Mac-based readers,
do not support access to attachments within PDFs.
Yet another reason to use Adobe Reader or Acrobat.

Will is spot-on in pointing out where PDF techniques, most
of which are described in published standards, are not being
implemented correctly by Apple or in 3rd-party software.

> > From: will.adams at frycomm.com
> > Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 12:27:49 -0400
> > To: macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu
> > Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] Feature request on TeXShop's "Experiment" mechanism
> >
> > On May 29, 2015, at 4:48 PM, Markus Klyver wrote:
> >
> > > Why not just use the print feature of the OS itself (avalible with command ⌘ + p, and print)?
> >
> > One reason not to use that feature is that it will in certain circumstances re-encode the font and make it impossible to copy-paste properly from the resultant .pdf
> >
> > William
> >
> > (who is getting really annoyed about having to use brain cells to memorise such minutiae and really wishes these things would just work properly and sensibly)
> > --
> > William Adams
> > senior graphic designer
> > Fry Communications
> > Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore

Senior Lecturer
Mathematics Department  |   Level 2, E7A
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia
T: +61 2 9850 8955   |  F: +61 2 9850 8114
M: +61 407 288 255  |  http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/

CRICOS Provider Number 00002J. Think before you print. Please consider the environment before printing this email.

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of Macquarie University.