[OS X TeX] /usr and El Capitan

Ettore Aldrovandi ealdrov at math.fsu.edu
Thu Jul 16 03:16:08 CEST 2015

> On Jul 15, 2015, at 20:59, Anthony Morton <amorton at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> As Dick explained earlier in the original thread on this there was a last minute decision that had to be made when MacTeX 2015 was being released. The choice was between /Library/TeX/ and /usr/local/  Other people he consulted had split opinions on the matter, and since /Library/TeX is accessible to the finder directly he opted for that. MacTeX has always had its own way of doing things, I don’t really see much of an issue either way.
>
> And if you prefer, you could no doubt move everything to /usr/local anyway and just leave /Library/TeX/texbin as a symbolic link to /usr/local/texbin.
>
> Tony M.

/Library/TeX/texbin is the beginning of a chain of symbolic links designed so that the distribution preference panel can operate. The physical location of the MacTeX distribution, one of the possible physical terminal points of said chain, is  /usr/local/texlive/<year> as far as I know. (Or have things changed?)

(The idea of putting a managed software package such as TeXLive under /usr/local is debatable, but that’s another story.)

—Ettore