[OS X TeX] LaTeX won't format emph

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 20:13:20 CET 2015

On Feb 1, 2015, at 1:42 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

>> On Feb 1, 2015, at 12:23 PM, Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain at gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>> This morning, LaTeX just ceased to format \emph (and, occasionally,
>> section titles) until 2nd typeset. Even after that, if I close
>> TeXShop and re-open the tex file, the pdf is e.g.
>>
>> <LaTeXsample1.pdf>
>>

>> So far, \emph worked in sserif and \textbf in both roman and sserif
>> but now sserif does not work either:
>>
>> <LaTeXsample2.pdf>
>>

>> I am beginning to get worried. It happened a couple of times a few
>> years ago but I have forgotten what it was due to---and what to do.
>>
>> It may have to do with my starting to use of \colorbox{yellow}
>> {blah} (but I have used it a lot before without any problem.)
>>
>> All log is saying is "LaTeX Font Warning: Some font shapes were not
>> available, defaults substituted."
>>
>> I am running TeXLive-2013 with TeXShop 2.47 under 10.5.8 on a Dual
>> 1GHz PowerPC G4
>>

>> Hopeful regards
>> --schremmer
>
> Howdy,
>
> What font are you using?

Whatever comes with the vanilla TeXLive-2013 distribution: lmodern,

> Could you supply a minimal working example for us to see?

I tried one from scratch but it works! My preamble is terribly
complicated, at least for me. So cutting it down progressively would
be enormously time-consuming. If I really have to, I will of course.
As I said, it already happened a long time ago, and I was just hoping
that this would ring a bell.

> What does the faulty pdf look like when opened up in Preview

Preview is what I used for the two attached pdf.

> and Adobe Reader?

I banned Adobe from my computer a very long time ago.

> Could you include a faulty pdf?

Do you mean that <LaTeXsample1.pdf> and <LaTeXsample2.pdf> did not work?

Best regards
-schremmer