[OS X TeX] OS X 10.10.3

Richard Seguin riseguin at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 9 17:48:02 CEST 2015

> On Apr 8, 2015, at 8:08 PM, Richard Seguin <riseguin at earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 8, 2015, at 6:43 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On Apr 8, 2015, at 6:16 PM, Richard Seguin <riseguin at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Herb,
>>>
>>> Have you checked to see if font smoothing in Skim works correctly now? I won’t be able to download the update until later tonight and probably won’t install it until tomorrow.
>>>
>>> Richard Séguin
>>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I just opened one of my pdf files in Skim and it looks fine. I still have anti-aliasing turned on. If I turn it off the font thickness seems to get a bit jaggy. At least with Utopia (fourier).
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>
> Wonderful! No more workarounds!
>
> And thanks for reminding us about the TeXShop hidden preference that we have to undo.
>
> Richard Séguin

I’ve installed 10.10.3, and, as Herb said, font smoothing is greatly improved now with both TeXShop and Skim, and these two applications display nearly identical results. I think that letters might look slightly thicker than they did pre-Yosemite, but there is no longer any annoying fuzziness or raggedness. Preview also looks better.

Adobe Reader, with its proprietary font smoothing algorithms, still gives the crispest results, almost eliminating the motivation for retina screens, but Reader is buggy and not TeX friendly at all, and probably never will be.

Richard Séguin